Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Red Day!







Monday, June 14th was a first day with color of the day. We started the morning off by all putting on red! Our craft for the day: We made heart shaped pillows out of red and white fabric. I found some old fabric my Grandma Schorsten had given me and was thrilled to find some with lots of red on it. I drew hearts on the fabric and let Aidan cut them out. He cut out Abigail's hearts too. I withheld any temptation to "fix" the hearts and let them just be... they were theirs and they were proud of them. I had to keep that mentality going when we got to the sewing part. I let him put the pins in to keep the two heart pieces together. I thredded the sewing machine and let him push the peddle. Abigail didn't want to push the peddle, but she sat in my lap and pushed the back button a few times in the sewing process. They both stuffed their pillows full and then I hand stitched them together. Their hearts turned out interesting, but not too bad for a 4 year old and 2 year old :) They loved them and had fun playing with them. For dinner, Aidan had requested "red soup" a.k.a. tomato soup. He has always loved tomato soup and has always called it "red soup", so it was most appropriate for the day. In addition, we had BLT sandwiches on homemade tomato basil bread. It was my first attempt at a sundried tomato basil bread, and turned out pretty well! The dork in me couldn't resist even getting red lettuce for the sandwiches! Needless to say, it was a great red day! The pictures are of my sun-dried tomato basil bread, Abigail's heart, and Aidan's heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment